Thursday, September 30, 2004

Unpacking my shield?

For those reading my thoughts/notes of READ>THINK>PRAY>LIVE, know that I have been getting drawn to the references to "shield" in the readings, particularly in the context of God having our backs (protection)...so thought I should go deeper into it as it was exciting my spirit - here goes ----->

Definition:

1. A broad piece of armor made of rigid material and strapped to the arm or carried in the hand for protection against hurled or thrusted weapons.

2. A person or thing that provides protection.

References from RTPL so far in this context - Psalm 3:3, Psalm 5:12, Prov 2:7

  • The Lord told Abram in Genesis 15:1 "I am your shield"
  • God was Jacob's shield in Deuteronomy 32:10
  • He shielded Benjamin all day long (Deut 33:12)
  • He is Israel's shield (Deut 33:29)

God definitely has the back of his people. I need to rest in that I know.

Ephesians 6:16 - "take up the shield of faith"

1 Peter 1:5 - "through faith shielded by God's power"

There is more on this in the Word I am sure....more to come! Comments welcome, I would love to learn more.


1 comment:

Gavin Lloyd said...

Great stuff Jason....there seems to be an awesome network of Bloggers on the rise! You go to a great church by the way, had the privilege of being there last year.