Sunday, December 05, 2004

Change of Habits

Just pondering.....Habit def. A recurrent, often unconscious pattern of behavior that is acquired through frequent repetition

I have started changing some habits regarding diet, and it has made me think on habits in general. I havent had a coffee in at least 4 days (don't panic coffeegrinders!) & have set my goal to go back to coffee on Tuesday, only from now on it will be espresso or americano (diluted espresso). The milk I was having in it was the equivalent of an extra meal of protein & at several cups a day plus meals that adds on the gut!

Habits are not just what we do, but also what we think. Some habits are good & fruitful. Others bad, destructive.

Philippians 4:8 (MSG) - "Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious--the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse"

Through time, habits are like concrete or set in stone. The hope here is that they still don't need to be permanent just because they appear to be (like concrete). Take your jackhammer out!

It's not easy, it may hurt. Like John Maxwell says "You have to give up to go up". If I want the weight off I have to make the changes & it is tough in the beginning. The coffee is only one of many examples I have changed & it doesn't just apply to eating habits.

What do YOU think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try Lipton Green tea! Go the Green!

Gavin Lloyd said...

Jason - I hope this is encouragement?!

I flew back from the Hillsong Conference last July (2003) determined to lose weight. I was about 260 lbs. For 4 months I did the ‘controversial’ Atkins diet and lost about 50 lbs. Interspersed with this I was doing regular exercise (walking, gym and then I got the running bug).

At the start of this year I switched to healthier eating habits and watched my calorie intake at the same time making sure I burned enough calories to continue a gradual weight loss. By about May I’d reached 168 lbs, where I remain.

My lifestyle has completely changed. This is the key. Exercise, although a difficult regime to get into at first, is vital - but a good habit to have. This along with eating carefully and healthily (ironically I now have to make sure I eat plenty of carbohydrates to feed my running).

Be determined. I know it’s an old cliché, but people that know me would agree – ‘If I can do it, anyone can!’

I’m with you all the way mate!!